Thursday, October 25, 2007

Prague and Vienna Adventures

Well I have been quite busy lately, finishing up midterm papers and such and Libby had some friends come stay with us this weekend which was so fun but it didn't help my procrastination, haha...I wanted to post some pictures from my trip last weekend, it was amazing!

Prague and Vienna are both such beautiful cities...Prague (Praha) actually reminds me a lot of Budapest, it's even divided by a river, it's a smaller city though, and man was it freezing there, it even started to hail one night when we were out exploring haha, what an adventure! Getting to Praha was also quite an adventure, we took an overnight train and it was my frist train ride ever! It was so cold though that I didn't sleep more than like 10 minutes...I think I definitely liked the train ride to Vienna much better, overnight trains are not my preference but I'm glad I got to try it out!
we went to the top of the astrological clock tower in the city square and the view was incredible!



Just like Budapest the city was beautiful at night and the architecture was so neat...

We visited tons of beautiful churches too...



I loved the horsedrawn carriages in the city, we saw a wedding going on one of the days and the newly weds went away in one!

Our train ride to Vienna was only like 4 hours- it was so beautiful because we passed through a lot of land and the trees were changing colors, once we got there we went to our hotel, the Carlton Opera, doesn't that just sound fancy? haha well it was very nice and Vienna was like a dream, it all seemed so unreal because the city was like perfect, it was very clean and people were very friendly, (I think they cloned Mozart, haha, because he was all over the city and this one was on his cell phone!)

I guess in Budapest their history really has affected the city today, they've only been their own country for 17 years now and there seems to be a lot more poverty and homeless...In Vienna things were very expensive though compared to Budapest because they use the euro, it made me very grateful when we got back to Budapest! Walking around the city at night was so fun, the first night we went to a restaurant and Libby and I tried sauerkraut and schnitzel and this french toast dessert thing, it was amazing! Shops seem to close fairly early in the city though so we decided to go church hopping because they were all still open, it was so neat to be in them at night when it was so peaceful and empty, some were just lit with little candles, but the whole time I had to keep pinching myself because it felt so much like a dream...the desserts and chocolate in Vienna were one of the best experiences, haha I will definitely have to bring some of the chocolate home! We visited lots of neat places too like the Schonbrunn palace and gardens, we got a tour of it and it was massive, I can not imagine living in a place that big! we also went to this neat art museum where we got to see lots of italian paintings and we even saw some of Rembrandts paintings!



We went to lots of little cafes and I must say if anybody goes to Vienna you have to try the apple strudel and the sacher torte! Well I am so excited to be going back to Vienna tomorrow morning, we leave for our 3 hour train ride and we get to stay with Lisa, my sisters friend, and her husband Christian, can't wait to finally meet them! I am definitely looking forward to relaxing some too, it's been a stressful week so I think this will be a nice little vacation! We had another bible study tonight and I just feel so blessed, God always provides, I am so thankful to have found a church and be able to fellowship with other believers, its definitely encouraging...Lately figuring out my next semester and scheduling and all that has kind of been overwhelming but I know that God is directing my paths and it will all work out, my lovely momma reminded me of the verse Psalm 32:8 which I've been meditating on, such a great truth to remember...well I am off to finish packing and then get some rest before my trip tomorrow, yay!

2 comments:

Mrs. Ellis said...

Enjoyed your pictures and look forward to more after your visit with Lisa and Christian! I know that God has an awesome plan for your life, Riss and as you commit your ways to Him, and trust in Him, He will direct your paths! (all of them) He is faithful, a covenant-keeping God, and I can't wait to see how His plans unfold!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are so nice it remind me of my own trip to Prague.
I have been in Prague for 2 weeks, I absolutely loved. I was there with my friends. During the day we went to visit what the guide told us to: ) but the evening we spent them in bars. I will leave you here a list of some nice Prague music clubs you can go or if any of your fiends want to go there.
I found the city beautiful, like a fairytale land, the towers, the castles, the cathedrals….
I also found the city safe as you can see in this article from the government pages. We could always be out till late that we never had problems or ever saw any incident.
In the end it was too sad to leave. We had a real great time there, we had a lot of fun.
We also been to Budapest, witch I didn’t like too much and also in Vienne that I loved. Very clean and pure city, the imperial architecture is beautiful.