Saturday, October 6, 2007

Weekend Adventures...

So thursday evening after a fun salsa dancing class Libby and I were feeling adventurous and we decided to try this instant hair color we had bought, it didn't really bother us that none of the instructions were in English, haha...well around the city one of the most common hair colors is this reddish color they like to refer to as "ruby red" haha...it's not very natural looking but very popular nonetheless, so I decided to try this color, finding comfort that if anything went wrong I'd probably just fit in with many of the other women : ) well Libby tried this purplish color but since her hair is darker than mine it hardly showed up...mine on the other hand turned out quite interesting! After leaving the color in for about half an hour you are supposed to rinse it out(we think) and so we did that and some of it came out completely so my head ended up being kind of a funny mix of blond and pinkish-red...anyways it was pretty entertaining!

After that we all decided to bake some homemade Hungarian "thumbprint" cookies and by this time it was about midnight...they turned out amazing and they were so simple to make, instead of using jelly for all of them we used different kinds of chocolate so this made them even better(I will have to make these for everyone at Christmas!), then after enjoying quite a few and reminiscing of christmas and holiday pastimes we watched "Singing in the Rain"...well atleast I did, some of us fell asleep ; ) haha...what a night though! On Friday we went to St. Stephen's Basilica, which is this huge cathedral built over the course of half a century and completed in 1905...and we got to see the mummified right hand of St. Stephen that was brought there by the Hapsburg empress in 1771 after being discovered in a Bosnian monastery...it was interesting, the cathedral was huge though and the structure inside was so intricately detailed...We then decided to venture off to one of the other malls, Mammut(which literally means mammoth!) and they even have mammoth statues around it, haha...and we looked aound for a good bit but couldn't explore the entire thing because it was 7 floors! Later we went out and ended up dancing to music like "celebration" "can't touch this" and "stayin' alive" haha, good times! Today Amanda, Didi, Libby, and I decided to go to the Budapest zoo! I loved seeing all the animals, and Libby and I decided we want to share a farm later in life, and mom I still want to herd goats!
Can't you see the resemblance..?

The zoo also had a petting zoo with horses, goats, roosters, geese, sheep, and this funny wooly pig...haha I had to get a picture of him...
On the way back we got one of the common street treats of Budapest, called Kurtoskalacs or chimney cakes, it was very tasty and it happens to be the oldest Hungarian pastry and it was influenced by the Turkish...it was originally made by wrapping the dough around chimney pipes, so the actual pastry is like a hollow shape, yum!
I'm kind of feeling a little under the weather though so I'm going to rest tonight and have lots of tea and vitamin c, hopefully I'll feel refreshed tomorrow!

4 comments:

Mrs. Ellis said...

Oh my lil apple, I will be praying for you! I am glad I sent you your Vitamin C. Rest well over the weekend! And thanks for the pics! I just love that Wooly pig! He is so cute! Maybe we can herd goats together! I Love you bunches and bunches!!! Your Mama

Laura said...

Wow, you have pink hair!! ;) I love the monkey picture of you guys, very cute. Hope your feeling better, I love you!

Lisa and Christian said...

You have definitely been in Hungary when you have pink hair!...thats what we say in Austria!...cuz getting hair done is cheaper in Hungary so the Austrians cross the border for hairstyling and 90% of the time they come back with red and pink! Luv it!...its stylish on u! the time is flying by! soon in a few weeks it will be november and u will be here!!!

Fernando said...

Hey Char! hahahaha!

im glad that you're having such a great time over there... i actually went back and read all of your posts, and i'm definitely getting more excited for my own semester over there. be safe, and keep the updates coming!