Sunday, September 9, 2007

Long weekends!

What a blessing to have no class on Friday, I'm back to class tomorrow morning but I've had a very nice weekend : ) On Friday, I woke up before Libby and Didi so I went to one of the markets by myself and I was so happy I figured out how to order fresh sausage all by myself(with the help of my Hungarian phrasebook!) and then I came back home and Libby and I made some french toast and sausage and I made some coffee in our little French coffee press! It's so much fun to have our own little kitchen and it was such a good time just being able to have breakfast with friends and relax and take our time! It was our friend Sarah's 20th birthday so we made chocolate chip cookies for her and this was quite an adventure because our oven does not have any numbers on the dials(not even in celsius!) so we had to guess what the temperature was, haha, they turned out pretty good though! We met Sarah and our other friend Stacey at this really neat cafe and by the time we got the cookies to her they were a little shaken up(It was a pretty long journey, haha, we had some issues finding it!) but they still tasted great : )

~Here we are presenting our lovely masterpiece to Sarah back at their apartment, we didn't have a candle for her to blow out so we held a lit match up to it so we could pretend, haha, so sillyThe cafe was such a nice atmosphere and we ended up staying there for a few hours...the nice thing about Europe is they don't rush you at all, we had to ask for our check! The coffee and pastries were delicious too! Then we headed back to Stacey and Sarah's flat and decided we would order pizza for dinner, so we got two humongous pizzas again and one was just cheese but the other was garlic sour cream-chicken, it was interesting...I ended up feeling very sick later, I don't know what happened but I have never felt such stomach pain it was pretty awful! I felt much better the next day but I guess some of the food here I am still not used to!

Yesterday we checked out the annual wine festival that they have in the Castle District over on the Buda side. It was so awesome to experience the culture there, they had a parade and it was so neat, tons of people were dressed up and playing music and singing little folk songs! I loved all their outfits and the dancing looked so fun, I really wanted to join in...I really would love to be a little Hungarian folk dancer! I definitely think my mom would've loved to see the parade and I think she would've tried to join in as well, haha : ) Girls were handing out grapes to the people watching, and they were so cute and little but it was crazy because each little grape had like 4 seeds in it! We got to check out the Fine Art Museum too which was neat, I unfortunately wasn't allowed to take pictures, but some of us pretended not to know this (Libby ; ), haha) The guest country at the festival was South Africa so it was really neat because they were doing lots of dancing while we were there! We had to pay to get in and our ticket came with a nice wine glass and wine tasting tickets, so we got to try a glass, but I've decided that I think drinking a glass of wine with a dinner for the cultural experience is nice but I'm not a huge fan of it, or alcohol in general, it's not my cup of tea, in fact I'd much rather have tea! Well then we came back and relaxed and got some work done and Libby and I watched the classic musical, Singing in the Rain, it was so cute I loved it!

I had to put this picture up because the accordion player was so goofy, I loved it!


This morning a group of us met up and went to church together, I really enjoyed it! On the way we stopped at this pastry shop where we got some of the famous Fornetti pastries and then we got to church and everyone was so welcoming and friendly, it was awesome, and people spoke English-which was pretty comforting! They had time to just fellowship and enjoy coffee and cookies and stuff in the beginning and then the service started and I was so grateful to be there worshipping with other Christians, God is so awesome! I really am looking forward to getting to know more people at the church and getting more involved...God's just provided so much for me, it was so awesome because I found out a few people I had met already go to this church, what an encouragement! Well tonight I'm going to our friend Corey's flat where our friend, Dadve or David, from Iran, is going to cook food for us! I'll write more later : )
I know this picture is random but I thought of my momma because the wild flowers they have everywhere are so pretty and remind me of her...I wish I could send a bouquet of them to her but I hope this picture makes her smile! : )

Also this is kind of a random thought but if anyone knows about going through Customs and what kind of procedure and restrictions apply I could use it b/c I am not sure what kind of things I can bring home with me!

No comments: