Monday, September 17, 2007

Weekend at Lake Balaton

Travelling this weekend was so amazing and it was definitely nice to get out of the city for a little bit and see another part of Hungary...the weather was very nice too! I personally am definitely a country girl, I like the slower pace and more relaxed setting along with all the beautiful open land...I love it here in Budapest and I'm so excited to be here for the semester but I couldn't live in the city permanently...
Well we had quite a busy but fun time...
On Friday we left on a bus from the school and it was about a 2 hour trip to Tac-Gorsium which was an archaelogical site and excavation center of an ancient Roman settlement...it was so cool to walk around and imagine what it must have been like...we saw where an old ampitheater stood and he Governor's villa along with the forum and all these neat statues that marked the road to the settlement!Next we were off to Szantod where we took the ferry across the lake and then went to Tihany peninsula, we took a tour of a church with an Abbey founded in early Medieval times and this Roman church had the tomb of King Andras I who founded it and the abbey in the 11th century...it was so neat and it kind of got me in the mood to play The Mystery of the Abbey with my family, haha such funny memories : ) we will have to play when I get back!This town was right by the water and it's a fishermen's village with old stone houses and tons of flowers and pretty gardens...it reminded me of a fairytale, like somewhere I always dreamed of living...it was very peaceful andthe view of the lake was fantastic! When I was walking around the town I saw the funniest dog ever and I decided I want one, haha, it's called a Hungarian sheep dog and they only have them here, but it looks like a walking mop, either that or a dog with dreadlocks but anyways I ran after it to take a picture and when I got up close all I could see was its tongue!
Next we went to Balatonfured where our hotel was the first night and we got to walk around the town by the lake and see the pretty swans and parks...we stopped at this big water fountain thing that was used by the old historic hospital because of the intense minerals and massive amounts of iron in the water...people would come just to fill up a bottle and drink it for better health!

A lot of us tried it, but it tasted absolutely awful and kind of made me feel nautious, so I decided I would just stick to taking my vitamin supplements...Then we went to this very nice and classy Hungarian restaurant or "csarda" where we had live music and a fancy dinner with different courses, we also did wine tasting and there were 3 different very classy white wines they gave us but I didn't really like any of the wine, the dessert was amazing though : )
The next day we drove through the Bakony Hills which was beautiful, until we reached Tapolca(which I kept confusing with Tapioca!) We went to the Balaton National Park and we got to go boating on the lake in the famous cave...it was my first cave experience and I loved it, I even got to climb some of the rocks inside! We had lunch with everyone and I tried some interesting things that I wasn't really sure of exactly, but I guess what I don't know won't hurt me...
We found this playground and everything was made out of wood, it was so awesome and much more fun(and maybe more dangerous) than any playground I've ever been to! I even got to go on the see-saws with Libby and that made my day since they are illegal in Maryland : (Our last stop for the day was Kezthely, the biggest city of the Western-Balaton area where we stayed at a really fancy hotel right on the lake! We went for a nice boat ride and I discovered a Haribo candy/gummy stand, It was very exciting!
Here's the view of the lake when we walk out on one of the courtyards of our hotel...

Libby, Amanda, and I went to one of the beautiful churches in the town for a Hungarian mass which was very interesting, I really wish I knew more of the language! After we had a buffet dinner at our hotel and then walked around the town for awhile, Libby and I found this little restaurant where they had those kiddie rides that you put coins in and I got on the horse and she got on the motorcycle but then the man started yelling at us and we had no idea what he was saying so we stared at him dumbfounded, we found out later he was yelling "5 years!" at us so I guess we were too old for it, but he literally pushed us out! He almost made us cry, but it's kind of funny now that I look back on it...at our hotel there was a live pianist/singer so that cheered us up : ) Sunday morning our hotel had a huge buffet breakfast which had extraordinary amounts of food and after we ate we went to the Festetics palace which was an 18th-19th century French chateau! It was amazing to see all the old rooms of this place and it seemed to be neverending, if I lived there I'd definitely get lost in my own house! It was so old that we had to wear these covers on our shoes to protect the floors and unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures : / ...I think my favorite parts were the silk wallpapers, the obsession they had with horses, the pretty paintings, the ballroom/concert hall and the ginormous library they had with a secret passage! The library reminded me of the one from Beauty and the Beast, it was amazing! After this we went to an old carriage museum right next to it which was very interesting...Our last stop for our trip was the headquarters of the world famous porcelain manufacturer that was started in 1826, called Herend, where we got to see the actual intricate process of making porcelain and how each piece is handpainted still! Outside there was a neat courtyard, and I really liked this lion, it was painted with one of the famous Herend designs...and it reminded me of Aslan : )
This time I didn't get in trouble for being too big!
We got to look around the gift shop, but everything was extremely expensive...but it was really neat to see and it kind of put me in the mood to go to the Mud Hut and paint my own pottery...I can afford that : ) We got back home around 7:30 and I was pretty exhausted, I got to talk to my parents though and that completed an awesome weekend!

4 comments:

Mrs. Ellis said...

Thanks, Sweetie for all the beautiful pictures and updates! Sounds like you had an awesome time! And you can contiually give thanks to our Great God for this trip and all His Beauty in His World! LOVE YA LOTS ! Mama

Laura said...

I love all these pictures! Especially the one of the shaggy dog ;)

I love you and miss you!!

Prellis said...

I have been reading your blog a lot but I haven't placed any comments yet. I love hear how your time is going there, it makes me want to travel too, ha,ha. Your pictures are great! And, we are glad you are having such a great time!
We love you!

Lisa and Christian said...

WOW I just discovered your blog!...you have taken so many beautiful pictures of that beautiful city! wow! So fun to see pictures of u having a great time! Lake Balaton looks beautiful!...and is that your apartment where ur living? that is beautiful!...you are doing a great job at updating! Oh and I love Tesco! I was so excited to find cookie dough there! haha! and other american things...